Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Magnificent 7 Movie Review

Here is my review of Magnificent 7.  Yes, I am doing two in one day.



     Once again, I am compelled to let you know I am not a professional when it comes to reviewing movies. There may also be spoilers here at the end.  I try to keep my initial review spoiler free, but at the end I like to say what I would have done differently if I was a writer. That means sometimes discussing details about the movie I would otherwise omit.  I still try and keep the spoilers light.

     To start, I have never seen the original show this was based on.  I walked into this movie with no bias, just looking forward to seeing a modern Western and hoping to enjoy the movie.  Man did I.

     The introduction of the villain in the first scene is wonderfully done.  He manages to exude menace in a way that makes you think everything he does has an evil motive about it.  The suspense of waiting for that shoe to drop, pulls you into the movie and along for the ride right away.

     The characters are good.  Some great.  Denzel Washington and Chris Platt play off each other well.  The other characters, well they aren’t as big, but they all get their moments that make you smile.  Vincent D’Onofrio plays such a different character form the King pin I had to look hard to recognize him.  The girl who looks like a Jennifer Lawrence rip off (sorry, but it’s kinda true) could have used more personality but I have little complaint in this area.  Every character gets an introduction, and in moments you know what that character is about.  I do have to give a special shout out to Ethan Hawke as his character probably has the biggest character arc.  Most everybody else their arc is pretty straight.  This is the character, and we will tell you why they fight and act like they do in a few seconds.

      The movie is beautiful.  There is something about all the shots of the town with the burnt out church in the background that speaks to you.  Every shot looks good, and even in the inevitable “This is a Western so there is going to be men staring at each other waiting to shoot” moments, it didn’t feel like anything dragged to me.

     The villain could have been more complex.  He is very, one note.   His motivation is greed, and he will kill anyone who gets in the way of that motivation.  No real depth.  However, in the context of this movie it works.  There is something about a villain who calmly lights a cigarette while his army charges into a town, as if he is already bored about being there.

     It is stated before the big fighting begins, that not everyone in the town will walk away from the fight.  Part of the glory of this flick is it doesn’t hesitate to show people on both sides of the fight getting shot and killed.  The body count is high on both sides.  I did expect that despite this the seven this show revolves around would escape unscathed.  I have been watching too many Marvel movies apparently.  I won’t say who, but several of our heroes don’t make it.

     This movie is a definite A in my book.  It is pure popcorn entertainment and the only big complaint I had is that there could have been more of each character.  To do this however would have made the movie much longer, and I don’t think the joy might have lived through that.

    Now comes the spoiler part.  If there is any.  So, beyond may be spoilers, I will still try and keep them light, but you have been warned.



     One thing I would have liked to see is more motivation in the characters.  You understand by the end of the movie why Denzel Washington’s character is there, but the rest seem to just follow him “because.”  There is no reason I can see for most of the characters to throw themselves into a hopeless fight, or I might have missed something.  Chris Pratt’s character was about the gold.  Red Harvest felt it was his “path?”  Yeah, that’s about it. 

     The woman who plays the heroine, who is almost the only woman in the movie that isn’t background had severe personality issues.  She could glare and cry.  That was her two modes.  I wanted to feel heartbroken for her, and I did when her husband was killed, but it faded quickly as I didn’t get anything else emotional from her for the rest of the movie.  I would have given her some more moments to explore who she was.

     I really have no other complaints.  I think for me this was a near perfect movie.  I loved it, I will own it, and I will probably watch it again a few times.

     Once again, this is a big screen movie.  The big Western landscape and the action begs to be seen on a big screen.  The movie is great, go see it.

     What did you all think of it? Did I miss something while I was excitedly noticing that guns didn’t run out of bullets?  Unless it was convenient to the plot that is.  What would you have done differently in this movie?


Ben Marble.

If you want to support Ben Marble in his madness and glory, please consider purchasing one of his short stories at Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment